Avtar Properties

University Branch Call: 0113 2456 567 | Hyde Park Branch Call: 0113 2745111

Top tips for preventing kitchen fires

You’ve got the keys, you’re finally moving out and you’re on your way to student life. Things could not be better. But amidst all the excitement of having somewhere new to call home (without parental guidance) comes a new responsibility: Keeping yourself – and your house – safe.


It may well be the last thing on your mind – especially after coming back after a night out ravenous for something you can concoct in as short a time as possible – but the importance of keeping on top of your kitchen’s fire safety is paramount.

The fact remains: Kitchen fires are a major risk for student accommodation – often caused by cooking left unattended, and mostly as a result of an alcohol-induced night out. According to research, two thirds of students cook food after midnight and half do so under the influence of alcohol. It is, therefore, something to take seriously.


So, what can you do to help minimise the rise?


  • Always remember the dangers of cooking after a night out – put a sign on your fridge if you have to so that even while under the influence you remain in control
  • Even better, plan to get a takeaway after a night out so that you don’t need to cook at all!
  • Never leave food on a stove unattended
  • Double check any appliance has been turned off after use
  • Keep cooking areas clean as a build-up of grease can ignite fires
  • Take extra care when wearing loose clothes as these can catch fire easily
  • Keep tea towels away from the stove
  • Ensure pot handles are turned inward at all times so that they aren’t inadvertently knocked
  • Make sure you know the fire safety policy in your building and ask your landlord to check that everything is working as it should
  • Spark devices are safer than matches or lighters when used for gas cookers because they don’t have a naked flame
  • In the event of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed until the fire service arrives
  • In the event of a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug it
  • Never put anything metal in microwaves
  • Keep fire doors shut to prevent the spread of fire
  • Never try to tackle the fire yourself
  • Never play with fire extinguishers or fire alarms
  • Test your fire alarms weekly and keep a stock of batteries


In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999



Posted on February 8th, 2018 in Blog with tags:

Menu Title
Responsive Menu Image Responsive Menu Clicked Image


- Students, £100 admin and £100 deposit(including VAT) Or £60 Admin and a month’s rent deposit
- Professionals, £120 admin and a month’s rent deposits
- Resigns 50% discount
- Admin fees are non-refundable and deposits need to be paid within a week of the admin fee
- Fees apply